Saturday, March 26, 2011

Closure

I had a wonderful burrito Tuesday night at "our" favorite place. We dated for over a year, formed a bond, cared for each other. But we've been drifting for a long time, not able to find a foothold to move forward together and not ready to say goodbye. We agreed a while back to see other people. My people have been kinky, something she didn't understand and really wasn't curious about. Hers, I would guess, have been a lot like me, only no kink displayed or discussed, if even dreamed. I'm very happy that we were open about that.

It was inevitable that one of us would find someone to fill that void in our lives. She has. While I really am happy for her to have found a direction and found a companion, closure is hard. She tried very hard to make it less so, and I appreciate that. I gave her the few things of hers that had remained at my place and she did the same. I gave her one item that meant a lot to her and got a beaming smile at the meaning of the gesture. We'll see each other again, but it will be very different.

The questions in my head are calming because they don't matter anymore. She's a wonderful person, I've been lucky to have her in my life, and I'm already turning towards my own future and the possibilities it holds. I'm kinky and I need kinky people close to me. I know that where I end up on this path will be much more "me" than the path I just left. But that path had its charms and it was very good to me.

2 comments:

  1. It's wonderful that you're on good terms. That helps *a lot*. Even though you're letting go of something good, you realize that it's limited in how far it could've gone. Growth lies ahead.

    ReplyDelete